Gingivectomy is a surgical procedure wherein infected gum tissues are removed. It is used to treat conditions where your gums are enlarged
Signs you need Perio treatment
- Bleeding gums
- Gums pulled away from teeth
- Loose teeth
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Intense pain when you chew
- Sensitive teeth or gums
- Tender and red gums
- Swollen gums
What happens in a Gingivectomy?
When it comes to perio treatment, Gingivectomy is the oldest surgical method of treatment. Following are the steps involved in this treatment:
- A local anesthetic is used before the surgery to allevate any pain during the procedure.
- The surgeon cuts away the most unhealthy tissues and reduces the depth of gum pockets.
- Medication and pain relaxants are prescribed to the patient once the procedure is completed.
How to prevent gum problems?
Proper oral hygiene can reduce the effects of genetic problems and decrease your chances of becoming a victim of gum diseases. Besides perio treatment, you can do the following to prevent gum problems:
- Use Flouride toothpaste to brush twice a day
- Floss daily to remove and reduce plaque build up
- Go for regular checkups and cleaning
- Quit tobacco consumption