ORAL DIAGNOSIS AND RADIOLOGY
It is a specialized branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis of dental and oro-facial diseases.
The diagnosis is performed with the help of a clinical and radiological (X-ray) examination.
The patients coming to the hospital are initially sent to the dental radiology department because it is a
crucial branch for the first recording of the patient's illness. A thorough examination follows this inquiry.
Patients are asked to fill a questionnaire which asks for the following information-
- Earlier visits to dental clinics
- Any dental treatments which the patient has had in the past
- Any systemic disease
- Drug allergies, etc.
- The hospital further takes note of the patient's occupation, habits like smoking, chewing tobacco/paan/gutka, etc.
- He may order X-rays of the problematic areas
- Sometimes, a biopsy is required for a microscopic examination of the lesion
Orthopantomogram The hospital educates the patient regarding different issues, apart from diagnosing the dental problem. These include-
- Dental Problem with which the patients come
- Dental procedures required to rectify the problem
- Any possible complications of the treatment
A well-equipped oral health education room is made for familiarizing patients with different dental procedures. Health education helps the patient to be at ease while the treatment takes place.