ORTHOGNATHIC & FACIAL SURGERIES
Orthognathic surgery is the surgical correction of skeletal anomalies or malformations involving the mandible or maxilla
CANDIDATES FOR ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERY
Orthognathic surgery is used to correct any severe dentoalveolar discrepancy which is too severe for being corrected by orthodontics alone.
STEPS BEFORE THE SURGERY
1. Clinical examination of the medical health of the patient, local examination of the hard and soft tissues.
2. Socio-psychological evaluation to know about the patient's desires, need and knowledge towards the procedure.
3. Radiographic evaluation by intraoral and extraoral radiographs to evaluate the dental conditions and supportive bone.
4. Cephalometric evaluation to determine the skeletal discrepancies present and plan the surgery needed.
5. Study model evaluation is done to evaluate three-dimensional inter-arch, intra-arch and occlusal discrepancies.
ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERIES CAN BE GROUPED UNDER
1. Maxillary(upper jaw is referred as) excess
2. Maxillary deficiency
3. Mandibular(lower jaw is referred as) excess
4. Cleft lip and palate(palate and lip not fully joined)